'Owl Man'. Olmecs, Aztecs, and Mayans feared owls as they recognized them as gatekeepers of the underworld. Associated with rain, maize, and death the Owl sect of sorcerers were revered. Avelino took the approach of making this figurines aesthetic to resemble an unearthed temple artifact. While it looks to be made of stone or pottery is actually carved Copal wood. Amazing collectors choice piece.
• Carved by Hand and Meticulously Sanded
• Tenaciously Painted by Hand
• Signature Signed by the Artist
• Authentic Oaxacan Carving made from prized Copal Wood
• Single Piece Copal Carving
• Origin of This Carving is the village of La Union
• Museum Grade One of a Kind Mexican Folk Art
Dimensions Approx. 6" tall x 2" wide (Medium)
Since 1998 Port Wahakaa has been shipping Oaxacan Woodcarvings worldwide. See our recent reviews.