The Latin American cousin to the Gnome is the Duende. Unlike the friendly Gnomes the Duendes have a grumpier disposition and have been known to live inside walls of homes. Even clipping the toenails of children. In rural Oaxaca the Duendes are a real thing and it is best to make friends with them. Impeccable single sculpted piece carved figurine showcases Avelino's museum quality finesse. Amazing standalone work of art.
• Carved by Hand and Meticulously Sanded
• Tenaciously Painted by Hand
• Signature Signed by the Artist
• Authentic Oaxacan Carving made from prized Copal Wood
• Single Piece Carved Body
• Origin of This Carving is the village of La Union
• Ascetically One of a Kind Celebrated Mexican Folk Art
Dimensions Approx. 6" tall x 3" wide (Medium)
According to Wikipedia: Belief in duendes still exists among the Mixtecs and Zapotecs of Oaxaca and it is said that they are most commonly found in the mossy cloud forests of the state's mountain ranges.
Since 1998 Port Wahakaa has been shipping Oaxacan Woodcarvings worldwide. See our recent reviews.