Zapotec iconography form an tapestry on this expressive jet black hippo. This is a larger scale piece by one of San Martin's most distinctive artists. Hippos are also seldom scene subject in Oaxacan art especially ones as ornate as this. We cannot praise the perfection of this piece enough. The depth of painting detail is as good as it gets in wood carving.
• Carved by Hand with Simple Tools
• Thoroughly Sanded to a Porcelain Finish
• Painstakingly Painted by Hand
• Confidently Signed by the Artist
• Veritable Oaxacan Carving made from prized Copal Wood
• Chiseled Block single piece carving with removable tail
• Origin of This Carving is the village of San Martin Tilcajete
• Museum Grade One of a Kind Mexican Folk Art
Dimensions Approx. 8"L x 4 1/2" tall (Large)
Since 1998 Port Wahakaa has been shipping Oaxacan Woodcarvings worldwide. See our recent reviews.